Sunday, March 15, 2009

So far behind!!!




So I know that I'm really behind with posting, but things have been really crazy! The pics I'm putting up now were taken a little over 2 weeks ago. The first is when Ayla's cord fell off. Ayla had her 1 month check up this past Thursday. She was 50% in height and weight, weighing in at 9 lbs 3 oz...which is two and a half pounds from the weight she left the hospital. SOOOO unlike Madilyn. She was always 5 or 10% in weight and 90% in height. Anyway, the doctor told me that Ayla has colic and a little acid reflux. However, she seemed to think that if I MADE Ayla go at least 2 hrs between feedings that the colic and reflux would lessen. At that point Ayla was nursing every hour to hour and a half. She told me I needed to let her cry until it was feeding time again (at least 2 hrs). HOW ON EARTH AM I GOING TO LET MY ONE MONTH OLD CRY IT OUT? She told me that it didnt matter how old she was. And as far as her sleeping habbits, she said I should swaddle her tight, turn on some white noise, shut the door and let her cry for at least 20 min. AGAIN.....how could I do that to a one month old? I left that doctors appt very upset and cried most of the evening. But I thought, I had to at least try it. I was still on 4, one hour increments of sleep and I had finally hit a wall. I thought 20 min was too much so I would try for 10. Sure enough, there was some truth to what the doctor said. She cried for 5 min., was quite for 5, cried for 5 more and then fell fast asleep. As far as eating that night.... She went 2 hrs between feedings, then 3 hrs and then 2 hrs each increment after that. Only once did I have to listen to her cry for 20 minutes. SHe was such a happier baby the next day and I couldnt beleive it!! Apparently babies with Colic are uncomfortable so then they nurse because it sooths them. but then, they ate again, which causes more discofort because its so frequent. Its a vicious cycle. So making her go at least 2 hrs between feedings is definatly helping. Its not easy to listen to her cry when she wants to eat after an hour and a half (which isnt all the time anymore) but I know its definatly making her feel better to wait. I think it has helped her acid reflux b/c I dont hear much coming up anymore. Friday night was not as easy as Thursday night, but then last night was easier. So hopefully we're making some progress.


No comments: